East New York has higher rates of chronic disease than many other parts of NYC and together we can fight to promote wellness and prevent disease so that all ENY residents have better and longer lives.
Our kidneys are vital to our health, but not many of us are aware of what kidneys do and why they are so important.
Did you know that:
Kidneys remove waste products from our blood, regulate blood pressure and release important hormones that control other body functions, such as the production of red blood cells that carry life-sustaining oxygen to every part of our body.
- 37 million (37,000,000) Americans have kidney disease, but 90% of them don’t know it.
- Diabetes and high blood pressure, which so many of us have, are the two most common
- causes of kidney disease.
- If you detect and treat kidney disease early enough, you can prevent often-fatal heart and
- blood vessel disease (including toe and limb amputations) as well as avoid the need for
- dialysis or transplantation.
- One third of New York residents who contracted COVID-19 suffered a kidney problem and,
- because of this, a significantly increased death rate.
- Kidney disease, obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure can all put you at greater risk
- for the many possible complications of a COVID 19 infection.